New Black Box Theater and Student Center Modernization
Tamalpais Union High School District
Mill Valley, Calif.
- Completion Date: January 2006
- Square Footage: 10,171 (New Construction) / 28,750 (Modernization)
- Final Construction Cost: $11.1M
The 100-year-old Tamalpais High School’s arts programs were in desperate need of an adequate performance space to support its award-winning drama and music programs. The new 168-seat Daniel Caldwell Performing Arts Center provides the ideal venue for these offerings. The black box theater design incorporates sustainable features, flexible seating for a variety of performances and state-of-the-art amenities.
Along with the theater, the project included the modernization of the student center and gymnasium. The hub of student gathering and food service, the student center’s second story classrooms were not ADA accessible. QKA installed an elevator and bridge to allow accessibility for all students. In addition, the gymnasium was updated with new finishes, HVAC and lighting systems.
- 2009 Merit Award, Leroy F. Greene Design + Planning Award | Coalition for Adequate School Housing (CASH) & AIA California Council (AIACC)
- 2008 Citation Award | American Institute of Architects (AIA) - Redwood Empire
- High School
- New Construction
- Black Box Theater
- Student Center