New High School Campus
Napa Valley Unified School District
American Canyon, Calif.
- Completion Date: August 2010
- Square Footage: 260,000 (New Construction)
- Final Project Cost: $121M
Designed to meet the district’s Educational Program, American Canyon High School (ACHS) is an environmentally responsible, innovative campus constructed to bring a sense of identity to the City of American Canyon. ACHS is one of the highest scoring schools in California approved under the Collaborative for High Performance School (CHPS) verified program.
ACHS’ design was driven by three major forces: the district’s educational program, sustainable design strategies and providing a civic presence for the growing suburban community of American Canyon. Organized around a double ellipse pathway and campus green are the library, administration building, a 400-seat theater, a 2,500-seat gymnasium, four small learning communities and several specialized academy buildings.
- 2012 Honor Award, Leroy F. Greene Design + Planning Award | Coalition for Adequate School Housing (CASH) & American Institute of Architects/California Council (AIACC)
- 2009 Merit Award (Project In-Design), Leroy F. Greene Design + Planning Award | Coalition for Adequate School Housing (CASH) & American Institute of Architects/California Council (AIACC)
- High School
- New Construction
- New Campus
- Weight Room
- Track & Field
- CHPS-Verified & DSA High Performance School (HPS)
ACHS has been designed to be a learning environment that is healthy and productive, as well as resource-efficient and community-oriented. It is truly a model high performance school… We [are] lucky to count such an impressive project among the list of CHPS Verified schools.Bill Orr, Executive Director, Collaborative for High Performance Schools